By : Priya Shandhini
30 June 2015
Got the keys to your flat and excited about transforming it into your very own haven?
Wait, before you start on your renovation journey, equip yourself with the different stages of the renovation process. And MyNiceHome is here to help you navigate the course.
This is the first of a ‘Follow MyNiceHome on a three-part series to turn your dream home into reality’ , so Like us on Facebook and follow us!
All it really takes is four simple steps to get started, so don’t be daunted by the process and procedures. Here we go!
Step 1: Engage an HDB Registered Renovation Contractor
You will need an HDB Registered Renovation Contractor to carry out the renovation, regardless of whether the works require HDB’s approval. When you’re engaging an interior design firm, do ensure that they appoint an HDB Registered Renovation Contractor and obtain the necessary approval prior to the commencement of the renovation.
As the renovation contract is between you and the Contractor, disagreements are to be resolved by both parties.
Step 2: Know what you are not Allowed to Change/ Renovate
Some renovation works are not permitted for good reasons, such as hacking walls that affect the structural integrity of your building.
There have been instances of flat owners and/ or their renovation contractors going ahead without getting approval and getting into hot soup as a result. So do check out the HDB InfoWEB on what is permissible, and not, before planning your renovation.
Step 3: Check if the Renovation Item(s) Require HDB’s Prior Approval
You can check the HDB InfoWEB and the My HDBPage to find out if a renovation permit is required. If so, follow the steps below to ask your contractor to submit the permit.
• Authorise your Registered Renovation Contractor to submit the renovation application electronically to HDB, on your behalf
• The renovation contractor has to enclose a floor plan showing the proposed renovation details e.g. for demolition of walls, and an acknowledgement form signed by the flat owners in the application
• You will receive a one-time SMS notification when the renovation application is submitted
• You can view your renovation permit on My HDBPage under ‘My Flat > Purchased Flat > Renovation’
• Once the renovation permit is obtained, your appointed renovation contractor must display the ‘Notice of Renovation’ prominently outside your flat
Tip: The layout plan can be purchased through HDB InfoWEB using the Purchase of Residential Floor Plan e-Service, from the ‘Sale of Architectural Plan’ counter at HDB Hub or at any HDB Branch.
Step 4: Give your Neighbours a Heads-up
Start off on a pleasant note with your neighbours by popping by their flat to say “Hi” and to inform them of the expected duration of your renovation works. They’re sure to appreciate this nice gesture
There you go! You are all ready to start your renovation journey. For things to note during and after renovation works, do keep a lookout for our next two renovation guides
If there are any renovation topics that you would like us to feature, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.